Assessing and optimising landfills
We have a proven track record and depth of experience of landfill processes that is second to none. The costs and earnings of a landfill are directly affected by processes occurring within the landfill. Understanding and controlling these processes will maximise the economic return and environmental performance of landfills. For example:
- How long will it take for waste to decompose?
- How can the decomposition be speeded up?
- How can we predict gas generation during the last part of decomposition?
- How can we flush soluble leachate pollutants from landfills and how long might this take?
- What affects the generation of problem components of landfill gas, such as hydrogen sulphide and vinyl chloride?
- Which components of industrial wastes will be immobilised within the landfill?
- How will leachate components be attenuated in landfill liner materials and in the surrounding geological formations?
Our consultancy services in this area include:
- estimation of post-closure requirements and costs
- monitoring regimes for leachate level, flow and quality
- assessment of the remaining gas potential in degradable wastes
- optimisation of gas extraction
- advice on disposal of industrial wastes and sludges with biodegradable wastes
- impact of specific waste types on leachate quality and landfill chemistry
- detailed understanding of landfill chemistry and biochemistry